Friday, September 20, 2013

Of duck confit and coffee shop bars

Enjoying some me time is absolutely fabutastic after five months taking care of asher full time. So i went for an interview today and left both kids with mom.

After the interview, i came home to grab dinner and shower first. Had a nice relaxing bath without worrying about asher bursting into tears outside...ahhhh simple pleasures. hubby was meeting customers at home, so i took the opportunity to scoot out and find some eats in my neighborhood.

No lack of choices in katong...i settled on the coffee shop - bar at the intersection of joo chiat road and east coast road...Ali barbar. A place i always wanted to try but not exactly the most kid-friendly. This was an old coffee shop recently renovated into a chill hangout that still served up coffee shop nosh in the day but converts into a cool bar at night.

I managed to get a seat, lucky considering the place was always packed. My reason for picking the place? I wanted to try the famous French cuisine stall that had been operating in the coffee shop even before the renovation - la petite paradis.

I am a sucker for ducks so naturally i order the duck confit which set me back 14.90. I could have added foie gras for ten bucks but i decided to save that for another (hungrier) day. They handed me one of those blinking devices that would vigorously vibrate to inform you when the meal was ready for self-collection. I ordered my coke at 1.60, cheapest bar i have ever been to...wished i could have ordered beer Haha.

My table faced the big tv and star sports was on (not F1 though) so i was kept adequately entertained while i waited for the food to arrive. The duck did not disappoint and the picture i tried to take with my phone doesn't do it any justice. Crispy, juicy and well seasoned on a bed of mash potatoes and salad on the side. Yum. I am sure eating the meal without time pressure and baby in arms also helped but the food was good! Definitely worth another visit to try the rest of the menu!

Afterwards, i proceeded down joo chiat road to check out the neighbourhood community centre. Yes i have one! Pleased to see 2 badminton courts available...it has been soooooo long. I popped in the reception to check on classes available for kids, unfortunately they have nothing at all for children below five, oh well...

All in all, i was out by myself for slightly over an hour. But the benefits immeasurable; recharged, relaxed and blissful :) i guess i don't need much these days...Haha. I also decided the next round when i do this again, i shall target to take on the pork knuckles and sausages at the newly opened brotzeit across the same intersection...except will take Hubby along next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment